Thursday, April 10, 2014

My Yoga Journey

#YogaToTheCore
#YogaToTheCore

Yoga, such a funny little word. Sometimes I think of Yogi the Bear, or Fro-Yo. I think of a lot of words, sometimes hippie, other times jacked. Many words come to mind when I think of the term "yoga." My good friend kept mentioning that I join Instagram. You might be wondering how I jumped from yoga to Instagram. Well, let me tell you and take you on my yoga journey.

I always enjoyed the yoga class here and there. I would guess over the past 5 years I took 5 yoga classes and the occasional DVD or P90X yoga session. I liked the sessions but felt a little discouraged when I saw others in the class more advanced. I thought that could never be me. Previously I was a figure skater, dancer, and cheerleader. Thus, I was flexible and sturdy at one point in my life, a long time ago.

Which leads me to Instagram (IG). I finally joined Instagram, it only took me a year to take the plunge. My first day on Instagram I saw my cousin, Kim, post a picture of this #YogaToTheCore challenge. First, I had no idea how the heck hashtags worked besides the Jimmy Fallon and Justin TImberlake skit. I started playing around on IG and hashtags, trying to figure out how it works, when I should have been working on my disseration. Instead I found myself intrigued by all the "yogis" pumped up for the #YogaToTheCore IG challenge for April.

I realized there was a team of yogis leading this challenge, who I refer to as super yoga warriors, seriosuly, you should see them, THEY ARE JACKED!  These girls brought yoga to life, and presented the poses with a motivating smile. Of course that made it look super easy. They made it look so easy I thought I could do a handstand day 1! But, my point is, they had a way of connecting to the average IG user to show that ANYONE can do yoga! They were just average people at the start of their journey. The girls who run this program are @kinoyoga @beachyogagirl

And somehow, I convinced myself to join the April 2014 #YogaToTheCore. Yes, a total beginner was about to take on something massive and hopefully encouraging. I discovered when you search the hashtag you can see all the IG users, noobs (can't believe i just used that word, LOL) and experts alike take on the pose challenge of the day.

So, how does this challenge work? Each day there is a new post to work on, that focuses on the core. The "super yoga warriors" hosting the challenge post videos on IG of the beginner and advanced versions. Then you upload your pic or video of you doing that pose to share with the IG yogi community.

I made a promise to myself, I was going to stick this one out. They say (whoever "they" is) it takes 30 days to make something a habit. Well golly-g, I am going to stick this out the entire 30 days and see what happens from there. I do not know if I will go beyond he 30 days, we shall see.

I am going to try and post each week about my yoga journey. So stay tuned for week 1!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not leave spam comments. Spam comments will not be approved.